[GAP Forum] Sqrt for the cyclotomic numbers

Dima Pasechnik dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 20 08:59:15 GMT 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 07:31:56AM +0000, Palcoux Sebastien wrote:
> Dear Alexander and Forum,
> If the cyclotomic number is the square of a cyclotomic number, is there an easy way to find it?
> The number I need are the eigenvalues of the matrix of the unitarized inner product of an irreducible representation of a finite group (see the comment of Paul Garett here: http://math.stackexchange.com/q/1107941/84284). This matrix is positive, I guess its eigenvalues are always cyclotomic (true for the examples I've looked, but I don't know in general), and I hope they are square of cyclotomic. Thanks to these square roots I can compute the unitary matrices for the irreducible representation.

You don't need to take square roots. If H is the Hermitian positive definite form
you obtained by the averaging (or in some other way) then H=LDL*, for
L a lower-triangular matrix with 1s on the main diagonal, and D is a diagonal matrix.
L and D can be computed without taking square roots (and so they will stay cyclotomic).
Then conjugating by L gives you the unitary form.

HTH,
Dmitrii