[GAP Forum] Transitive groups

Gordon Royle gordon.royle at uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 3 03:35:47 BST 2014

Dear GAP people

Last month, I posted a list of numbers of transitive groups of degrees 32-39.

There are

2801324  transitive groups of degree 32
162 transitive groups of degree 33
115 transitive groups of degree 34
407 transtiive groups of degree 35
121279 transitive groups of degree 36
11 transitive groups of degree 37
89 transitive groups of degree 38
333 transitive groups of degree 39

and lots and lots of degree 40

However, as Derek Holt has pointed out to me, I wrote down the wrong numbers for the easy cases of degree 38 and 39, where the correct numbers are

76 transitive groups of degree 38,
306 transitive groups of degree 39.

On checking where the error arose, I realised that while there was nothing wrong with the computation, I was rushing too much at the time, and simply added up the numbers incorrectly.

Derek has also confirmed the much more difficult number 121279 for transitive groups of degree 36 (which I added up correctly).

More to come…

Gordon

Professor Gordon Royle
School of Mathematics and Statistics