[GAP Forum] The next generation of the GAP Data Library “Transitive Permutation Groups”?

Palcoux Sebastien sebastienpalcoux at yahoo.fr
Mon Aug 18 19:02:54 BST 2014

Dear Alexander Hulpke,

I look the inclusions of finite groups with distributive lattice.  For more details, see the MO question:

What's the ratio of inclusions of finite groups with a distributive lattice? (http://mathoverflow.net/q/178643/34538)

Thanks to the GAP Data Library “Transitive Permutation Groups”, we obtain that for the inclusionof index <= 31,

this ratio is more than 70%. So such inclusions are the majority!

I would like to know if this majority is a "small index" phenomenon, or if it's true in general.
A computation beyond of index 31 could be even more relevant.

Best regards,
Sebastien Palcoux

Le Lundi 18 août 2014 18h33, Alexander Hulpke <hulpke at math.colostate.edu> a écrit :

Dear Forum, Dear Sebastien Palcoux,

> The current GAP Data Library "Transitive Permutation Groups" contains the transitive permutation groups of degree up to 30
>
> Question: The next generation of this Data Library will be with degree up to what? available when?

It would help to know what degrees you are looking for.

At this time I don't have any concrete plans for a ``new release'' of the data library.

The transitive groups have been classified for degrees 32 by Cannon and Holt. The last time I asked they still wanted to test their data before releasing it. The total number of groups (over 2 million) also would make this a rather large database.

I have lists for degrees 33,34,35 (but these are very easily done).

Degree 36 seems to be borderline in that calculations take longer than our system administrator lets me keep a computer without rebooting.

Best wishes,

    Alexander Hulpke

-- Colorado State University, Department of Mathematics,
Weber Building, 1874 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1874, USA
email: hulpke at math.colostate.edu, Phone: ++1-970-4914288
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke