[GAP Forum] Compiling GAP for Use in C Program

Dima Pasechnik dmitrii.pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 14 20:44:06 GMT 2014

Dear Robert,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 07:37:12PM +0000, Wolstenholme, Robert wrote:
> I want to compile some of my GAP functions into static libraries for use in a C program. I have compiled them using gac -c on Ubuntu but I 'm not sure how to now call these functions in my C program. I tried a few things but whenever I tried to link and create a binary I got an error.

One way is to use libGAP, which comes with Sage
(http://www.sagemath.org), but can also be used to create standalone
C programs which call GAP functions.
See either the link above or https://bitbucket.org/vbraun/libgap
where in particular libGAP/test/test.c
is an example of a standalone C program calling GAP.
(or, certainly, if you might as well call GAP from Python (or Cython)
then Sage is all you need :-))

HTH,
Dmitrii