[GAP Forum] Strange sequence at beginning of GAP output

Gordon Royle gordon.royle at uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 30 03:18:20 GMT 2014

I am running some GAP commands that produce output that goes to a file.

gap -q < input > output

The GAP itself works ok, but the output ends up with the first line (only) starting with some invisible characters, here made visible with the Unix command “od"

033   [   ?   1   0   3   4   h

The ASCII 033 is a backslash so the actual string is \[?1034h

Googling this indicates that it has something to do with the readline library, but it is most often associated with Python scripts, all of which is mysterious to me.

All I want to know is how to stop GAP producing it.

(OS is RedHat Enterprise Linux)

Professor Gordon Royle
School of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Western Australia