[GAP Forum] Speed up loading, minimize workspace file

Roberto Ràdina roberto.radina at tiscali.it
Thu Dec 19 17:39:56 GMT 2013

> I'm looking for a way to speed up GAP loading.
> How can I do this? Or how can I minimize my workspace file?

On my (old) machine, GAP472, with a 38 MB workspace,  starts in 15 seconds
the first time I load it. And in only 2 seconds if I "quit;"and reload it
again because, I suppose, it is chached in RAM.
If I reload GAP with a DIFFERENT workspace, the time is again 2 seconds, so
the time to load the workspace is about 0 seconds. So minimize the workspace
will not help.

If I start GAP with a workspace but without the "-l" option, it starts in 5
seconds (three times faster) the first time and still 2 seconds on reloads.

I don't know what changes without the "-l" option. Surely the online help
(e.g.: gap> ?group) does not work.

Times may vary +/- 50%, I reported mean times.

Roberto