[GAP Forum] Naming of Primitive Groups

Colva Roney-Dougal colva at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Sun Nov 10 20:37:55 GMT 2013

Hi Chris

They are isomorphic groups, so they have the same name. In both cases they’re the alternating and symmetric groups on 5 points; the ones of degree 5 are the natural action, the ones of degree 10 are the actions on unordered pairs. In general any group has multiple primitive actions.

Best wishes

Colva