[GAP Forum] How much memory is needed?

Dmitrii Pasechnik Dmitrii.Pasechnik at cs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 1 14:42:54 BST 2013

Dear Mark,
On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 08:08:05AM -0500, Mark Sapir wrote:
> I am going to buy a computer to run GAP. The main thing I am
> interested in are group presentations, Groebner bases and other
> memory-eating tasks. If anybody on the form has experience of running
> GAP on a computer with large RAM, can you answer whether 512 Gb is
> much better than 128 Gb. That is have you had problems that are solved
> by a computer with bigger RAM and not solved by a computer with
> smaller RAM?
last century we had to resolve to using a computer with 512Mb (not Gb!)
of RAM to solve some particularly nasty coset enumeration.
(cf. http://zbmath.org/?q=an:0954.51005)

I guess that 512Gb is quite a lot - you'd need a lot of time to fill
that much RAM with cosets.
(Unless of course you are going to run many suchb  computations at the
same time)

For Groebner bases you probably won't be using GAP's own implementation,
for there are much faster ones available.

Best,
Dima