[GAP Forum] units of group algebras

Alexander Konovalov alexk at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Sep 12 12:07:38 BST 2013

Dear Fergal,

if you have a p-group and a field of p elements, then
NormalizedUnitGroup and PcNormalizedUnitGroup from the
LAGUNA package will help:

gap> KG := GroupRing( GF( 2 ), DihedralGroup( 16 ) );
<algebra-with-one over GF(2), with 4 generators>
gap> V := NormalizedUnitGroup( KG );
<group of size 32768 with 15 generators>
gap> u := GeneratorsOfGroup( V )[4];
(Z(2)^0)*f1+(Z(2)^0)*f2+(Z(2)^0)*f1*f2
gap> W := PcNormalizedUnitGroup( KG );
<pc group of size 32768 with 15 generators>
gap> w := GeneratorsOfGroup( W )[4];
f4

For other cases I'm afraid that straightforward calculations
will allow to deal only with small examples.

Best wishes,
Alexander