[GAP Forum] centralizer of a group

Alexander Hulpke hulpke at me.com
Thu Aug 1 09:37:46 BST 2013

Dear Forum,

Masomeh Zarei <m288.zarei at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in computing the centralizer of a subgroup H of G=O(n, R)
> in O(n, R) (the orthogonal group).  I would be thankful if you let me know
> whether  I can do the computation while I have the orthogonal group over an
> infinite field.

The facilities for matrix groups over infinite fields are currently rather limited; in particular there is basically nothing for infinite matrix groups. Thus I'm not aware of any tool that would let you do such a calculation, though with normal form theory you are likely to be able to write down concrete centralizers by hand.

Regards,

    Alexander Hulpke