[GAP Forum] Can I safely identify the moved points of PGL(n, 2) with GF(2)^n\0?

Max Neunhoeffer neunhoef at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 10:08:32 GMT 2013

Dear Gordon,

as far as I know the documentation does not guarantee this. However,
here is a way to guarantee some identification using the orb package
(here for n=8 by way of example):

gap> g := GL(IsMatrixGroup,8,2);
SL(8,2)
gap> v := ShallowCopy(Zero(GF(2)^8));
<a GF2 vector of length 8>
gap> v[1] := Z(2);
Z(2)^0
gap> o := Orb(g,v,OnLines,rec( storenumbers := true ));
<open orbit, 1 points>
gap> Enumerate(o);
<closed orbit, 255 points>
gap> permgens := ActionOnOrbit(o,GeneratorsOfGroup(g));;

It does not give you exactly the numbering you want but on the other hand

  o[i]

gives you quickly the i-th vector and

  Position(o,v)

for a vector v uses a hash table and thus gives you the number of a vector
in constant time.

Best regards,
  Max

Max Neunhoeffer              http://www-groups.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~neunhoef/
The University of St Andrews is a registered Scottish charity: No SC013532