[GAP Forum] Finding certain subgroups from very large group

Stephen Linton sl4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Fri Feb 1 12:09:04 GMT 2013

Dear Kher Sham Lim,

I assume you actually want to know if G has a subgroup isomorphic to H.
If so, the command you want is IsomorphicSubgroups(G,H).

This is enormously more efficient than simply listing all [conjugacy classes of] subgroups of G in most cases.

It might also be helpful to first replace G by an isomorphic permutation group (using IsomorphismPermGroup).

All of these commands are documented in the reference manual (equivalently in the on-line help).

	Steve