[GAP Forum] Compiling GAP code in a Windows environment

Alexander Konovalov alexk at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 16:30:01 GMT 2013

Dear David,

I've noticed that this question remains unanswered in the Forum. I'm
not even sure that compiling GAP code was ever possible under Windows.
Anyhow, as http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals//doc/changes/chap2.html
says,

"... we no longer recommend using the GAP compiler gac to compile
GAP code to C, and may withdraw it in future releases. Compiling
GAP code only ever gave a substantial speedup for rather specific
types of calculation, and much more benefit can usually be achieved
quite easily by writing a small number of key functions in C and
(Reference: LoadDynamicModule). The gac script will remain available
as a convenient way of compiling such kernel modules from C."

The latter way is used by some packages whose Windows binaries are
supplied with GAP (EDIM, orb, Browse, io and cvec), though their
development is happening under Linux, and Windows binaries are
compiled on a Windows machine with a full Cygwin installation.
You may look at those packages, if you would be interested in going
that way.

Best regards,
Alexander