[GAP Forum] Running GAP commnads from a file

Alexander Konovalov alexk at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 12:32:20 GMT 2013

Dear Forum, dear Dmitrii,

On 27 Dec 2012, at 03:21, Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik wrote:

> Do you mean to say that after Read(); you evaluate A at the GAP prompt and don't see
> gap> A;
> 3628800
>
> but see
> gap> A;
> Variable: 'A' must have a value
>
> If the latter, it looks as if your file actually didn't get read.
> Please try to modify your file as follows:
>
> A:=Factorial( 10 );
> B:=Factorial( 20 );
> Print(A);
>
> Then a successful Read() will also result in 10! being printed.
> If this does not happen,
> post your GAP version and Windows version (not sure if GAP is tested, or even meant to work, on Windows 8) here.

Just to confirm that GAP 4.5.7 works on Windows 8. Moreover, my alternative GAP Installer for Windows <http://www.gap-system.org/ukrgap/wininst/> installed GAP there without difficulties and even created shortcuts in the Start screen (which replaces the Start menu in Windows 8).

Best wishes,
Alexander