[GAP Forum] How to work in the two-element field F_2 in GAP.

Sandeep Murthy sandeepr.murthy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:22:02 GMT 2012

Hi,

It seems you are passing 0 and 1 literally to create
the default field, in which case you will get the field
of rationals, in which of course 1 + 1 = 2 <> 0.

You can't refer to the zero and one of GF(2) literally by
0 and 1.  The zero is denoted by 0*Z(2), the one by Z(2)^0 (or
also just by Z(2)).  So the default field you want will
be obtained by

DefaultField( 0*Z(2), Z(2) )

FOr convenience you could just do

o := 0*Z(2); e := Z(2);