[GAP Forum] GAP 4.5.7 release announcement

Alexander Konovalov alexk at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Tue Dec 18 14:38:46 GMT 2012

Dear GAP Forum,

We have just released the next minor release, GAP 4.5.7, which is
available now for download from the GAP website

	http://www.gap-system.org

and eventually will be also available via alternative GAP distributions
listed at

	http://www.gap-system.org/Download/#alternatives

You may access the overview of changes in GAP 4.5.7 by entering
'?Changes between GAP 4.4 and GAP 4.5' in GAP 4.5.7 and scrolling
till the end of the chapter, or view it online at

http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/changes/chap2.html#X81528B5F78B996D2

In addition to fixed bugs in the core GAP system, GAP 4.5.7 contains two
new packages:

* Float package by L. Bartholdi, which extends GAP floating-point
capabilities by providing new floating-point handlers for high-precision
real, interval and complex arithmetic using MPFR, MPFI, MPC or CXSC
external libraries. It also contains a very high-performance
implementation of the LLL (Lenstra-Lenstra-Lovász) lattice reduction
algorithm via the external library FPLLL.

* ToricVarieties package by S. Gutsche, which provides data structures
to handle toric varieties by their commutative algebra structure and by
their combinatorics.

Also, the new version 1.2.0 of FGA package fixes a bug that may, under
certain conditions, lead to wrong results in GroupHomomorphismByImagesNC.

We encourage all users to upgrade to GAP 4.5.7. If you need any help or
would like to report any problems, please do not hesitate to contact us
at support at gap-system.org.

Please note that we are regularly updating the GAP distribution to
include new versions of GAP packages, but we may not announce each
of them to the Forum. We intend to use the Forum to announce updates
of the core GAP system and only of some packages which may fix serious
issues or have major influence on GAP.

Wishing you fun and success using GAP,

The GAP Group