[GAP Forum] Overloading functions

Marek Mitros marek at mitros.org
Mon Nov 19 13:29:33 GMT 2012

Dear Alexander,

I do not know how to install function ComplexConjugate for octonions.
I believe I should use "InstallMethod(..." instead of
"ComplexConjugate:=function(x)...". I below quote example for a list.
It seems advanced technique for standard GAP user :) But maybe I will
try it next time.

Regarding the ReflectionMat I discovered that I can pass parameter
"conj" which is function which conjugate matrix element. So I managed
with my original problem.

Regards,
Marek

Here is example I found in lib/cyclotom.gi

InstallMethod( ComplexConjugate,
    "for a list",
    [ IsList ],
    function( list )
    local result, i;

    result:= [];
    for i in [ 1 .. Length( list ) ] do
      if IsBound( list[i] ) then
        result[i]:= ComplexConjugate( list[i] );
      fi;
    od;
    return result;
    end );