[GAP Forum] Error with rsync installation

Frank Lübeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Oct 25 11:47:40 BST 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 05:55:22PM +0800, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 04:33:19PM +0800, Gordon Royle wrote:
> > However the system is a new Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution so I am surprised it doesn't come with the bits it needs. When I compiled from scratch instead (configure; make;), no complaints were raised, but perhaps it made only the 64-bit version ??
>
> I suppose it did. It's not easy to cross-compile things (i.e. build
> executables for platforms different from what you do the building), you
> need to jump some hoops. And still, running such an executable is a
> different story (e.g. you can cross-compile for Windows or an iPhone on
> Linux - but running the resulting executables is a completely different
> story).

Yes, a simple './configure; make' will compile a 64 bit version on your
system.

Compiling a 32 bit executable for GAP is also easy if your system is set up
for it. You need 32 bit header files for the C library and maybe the
readline and ncurses libraries, at least the latter are rarely installed in
default Linux installations. Then you can say './configure ABI=32; make'.

I would not call this "cross-compilation", it makes complete sense to
compile and use a 32 bit version of GAP on 64 bit systems.
There are some comments on this in:
  http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~Frank.Luebeck/gap/rsync/index.html#32versus64

Best regards,
  Frank
--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\