[GAP Forum] Different output from Action function in GAP 4.5.5

William DeMeo williamdemeo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 23:10:50 BST 2012

Dear Forum,

I recently tried to reproduce some GAP output for an example that
appears in a manuscript that was recently accepted in final form by
the publisher.  However, using GAP 4.5.5 I now get different output
than what appears in my paper.  (I wrote the paper while using GAP
4.4.12.)

Here's the relevant part of the example:

In GAP 4.4.12:

gap> g:=Group([(1,2),(1,2,3)]);;
gap> G:=Action(g,g,OnRight);
Group([ (1,5)(2,4)(3,6), (1,2,3)(4,5,6) ])
gap> for b in AllBlocks(G) do Print(Orbit(G,b,OnSets)-1,"\n"); od;
[ [ 0, 4 ], [ 1, 5 ], [ 2, 3 ] ]
[ [ 0, 1, 2 ], [ 3, 4, 5 ] ]
[ [ 0, 3 ], [ 1, 4 ], [ 2, 5 ] ]
[ [ 0, 5 ], [ 2, 4 ], [ 1, 3 ] ]

In GAP 4.5.5:

gap> g:=Group([(1,2),(1,3,2)]);;
gap> G:=Action(g,g,OnRight);
Group([ (1,3)(2,4)(5,6), (1,5,4)(2,6,3) ])
gap> for b in AllBlocks(G) do Print(Orbit(G,b,OnSets)-1,"\n"); od;
[ [ 0, 2 ], [ 1, 4 ], [ 3, 5 ] ]
[ [ 0, 3, 4 ], [ 1, 2, 5 ] ]
[ [ 0, 5 ], [ 2, 4 ], [ 1, 3 ] ]
[ [ 0, 1 ], [ 2, 3 ], [ 4, 5 ] ]

In the paper, I refer to the labels appearing in these blocks, and I
really don't want to change all of these references and figures to
conform to the GAP 4.5.5 labelling scheme.  Is there any way I can get
the Action function to produce a group labelled as in the 4.4.12
version?  I tried Action(g,AsSortedList(g),OnRight); but that only
causes the 4.4.12 labelling to change to the 4.4.5 labelling.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I suppose I could add a
footnote in my paper that says these results can only be reproduced
using GAP 4.4.12, but obviously that is less than ideal.

Thanks!
William

--
William DeMeo