[GAP Forum] GAP on Android

Marek Mitros marek at mitros.org
Wed Sep 12 08:47:39 BST 2012

Hello William

I can write short instructions how I made GAP working on my mobile and
send to the GAP community. GAP owners can decide whether it is worth
publishing on web or no.

Note however that I am just a user. GAP for Android were compiled by
Matan Ziv-Av, who post on this forum as well. I have downloaded GAP
version compiled on Android from his page my.svgalib.org. I have also
used many instructions from him to cope with Android Linux problems
with access rights to files, etc. on my Sony Ericsson Xperia. You need
to first have installed some terminal application on which GAP session
can be started. For some reason Linux script 'copylink' prepared by
Matan did not work properly, so I have executed manually commands from
it line by line.

GAP installation should be placed on SD card where usually we have
more space then on phone internal memory. Unfortunately on SD card we
cannot execute programs, so binary files should be located in internal
memory and symbolic links created to the GAP folders located on SD
card.

I have created 100 MB size installation of GAP. I have removed most of
the packages and library of small groups. If I need this in future I
can just copy new folder to my SD card and make symbolic link to the
folder from phone memory. If package contains bin subfolder with some
executable than additionally we should copy it to phone memory.

Regards,
Marek

P.S. I have tested that I can use "atlasrep" groups when I copy proper
files to the datagens subfolder ! They are not dowloaded automatically
since I get some "wget" error,