[GAP Forum] from StructureDescription to specific generators?

Gary McConnell garymakonel at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 22 19:14:07 BST 2012

Hi all,

I have a finitely presented finite group constituted of 3 generators modulo
6 relations. When I ask for StructureDescription I get something like (Cm x
Cn):Ck for appropriate m,n,k as expected. What I would like to do however
is to understand what GAP is "thinking of" when it spits this result out:
for example, is there an easy way to access the generators of the normal
subgroup and the "action" homomorphism from Ck to the automorphism group of
Cm x Cn, or some splitting homomorphism, or equivalent - all in terms of
the generators I have previously supplied? I believe I have trawled fully
through the manual and the forum but cannot find anything - apologies if it
is there and I just haven't found it!

Many thanks

Gary.