[GAP Forum] Equal structure descriptions

Dima Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Mon Aug 20 17:17:35 BST 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:47:58PM +0800, R.E. Boss wrote:
> Thanks.
> I should have consulted the manual first.
>
> Still think it is strange that StructureDescription does not determine the group up to isomorphism.

The main reason is that it's quite nontrivial to describe extensions in a
non-verbose way. One would need to use the language of group cohomology,
etc.

Already conventions like Q_8 for a particular non-split extension of C_4
by C_2 (or of C_2 by C_2xC_2) are a compromise.

HTH,
Dmitrii

CONFIDENTIALITY:This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged.If you are not the intended recipient,please delete it,notify us and do not copy,use,or disclose its content.

Towards A Sustainable Earth:Print Only When Necessary.Thank you.