[GAP Forum] first example towards GAP, need some explanation

Jon devout1977 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:13:06 BST 2012

Dear Dima,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. However, algebraic number is a new
concept to me. I googled a bit and know the basic idea about it, but still
cannot follow the notation of E(3). I used ?E, but it gives a lot series of
entries, and I don't know how to check a specific one to look into. I thus
wonder whether you could explain a bit more about it, or just give me the
mathematical expression for it.

By the way, in physics, S(4) is isomorphic to Td point group. In Td, it is
known that there exists a 2D vector which can be used to generate all the
irreducible matrices to be used (matrix elements only involving real
numbers), I thus wonder whether the matrix representation given by GAP is
of this type or not, if not, how can I possibly find a similarity
transformation to go from GAP result to another form (say results used in
physics). I understand that two representations related with a similarity
transformation cannot be said to be distinct representation, but I hope you
know what I mean here.

Thanks again,

Sincerely,
Jon