[GAP Forum] how to recognise a group?

Robert Morse rm43 at evansville.edu
Thu Aug 16 13:51:11 BST 2012

In my example the table M is the cyclic group.

Given the multiplication table say M do the following:

Form the group using the multiplication table:

gap> G := GroupByMultiplicationTable(M);
<group of size 48 with 48 generators>

Ask for some structural information to get an idea what the group is:

gap> StructureDescription(G);
"C48"

Robert F. Morse