[GAP Forum] A small question about matrices

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Jun 7 15:58:25 BST 2012

Dear Igor,

Am 07.06.2012 um 15:41 schrieb Igor Korepanov:

> Dear Max,
>
> Thank you for the answer, and still a question about the command TriangulizeMat. It seems to me that `triangulizing' a matrix may mean different things for people in different countries of our big world. But at least in GAP this meaning is fixed forever as it is now, yes?

The documented behavior of a documented GAP function is in general guaranteed to stay as it is. In this case, it says:

  > TriangulizeMat( <mat> )

  applies  the  Gaussian  Algorithm to the mutable matrix <mat> and changes
  <mat>  such  that it is in upper triangular normal form (sometimes called
  ``Hermite normal form'').

Cheers,
Max