[GAP Forum] Question regarding quotient group functions

Daniel Grayham grayham1990 at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 14:17:59 BST 2012

Hey guys,
I have only recently started using GAP in my post graduate studies and I have come across a bit of difficulty.
This is a general example of the kind of code I have been working with,
I generate my group by forming a free group and quotienting out the necessary relations,
>From there I have been able to do almost everything, however when I try to form subgroups, say
Subgroup(G, [a^2]);
where a is one of the generators of the group and say, a^2 has order 2 for example (generates subgroup isomorphic to C2)
I get the error:
Error, families of <gens> and <M> are different
 have have double checked the generators of the group using
GeneratorsOfGroup(G) and have also tried, for example if the group is
only generated by a,
Subgroup(G, [a]);

But I get the same error.
 have gone through a lot examples where people use permutation groups
and they work find for me, I only have trouble when I'm working with
groups in this representation.
The main reason
 I began trying to generate the subgroups was because I haven't been
able to quotient out elements of the group, or use the FactorGroup(G,..)
 function.
For example:
G/[a^2]; Error, no method found! For debugging hints type ?Recovery from NoMethodFoundError, no 1st choice method found for `QUO' on 2 arguments
FactorGroup(G,
 Subgroup(G, [a^2]));   (ive tried Subgroup(..) in the position of a^2
however the subgroup function gives a different error)Error, <N> must be a normal subgroup of <G>

Similarly with cosets, I haven't been able to find cosets in terms of elements,
RightCosets(G, [a^2]); gives an error however:
RightCosets(G,Centre(G)); Works perfectly,
Is there a crutial part of GAP code I am missing?
Most importantly how can I find the quotient groups such as G/[a^2] for example?
Thanks in advance,
Grayham,