[GAP Forum] hall-senior number vs small group id

Vipul Naik vipul at math.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 18 04:39:54 BST 2012

There is a slight discrepancy between the GAP 3 catalogue numbers and
those defined in Hall-Senior's book.

For order 16, there is a mix-up between nummbers 3 and 4:

According to Hall-Senior:

(16,3) corresponds to Z4 X Z4 (GAP ID (16,2)) and (16,4) corresponds
to Z8 X Z2 (GAP ID (16,5))

According to the GAP 3 catalogue:

(16,4) corresponds to Z4 X Z4 (GAP ID (16,2)) and (16,3) corresponds
to Z8 X Z2 (GAP ID (16,5))

Vipul

* Quoting Bettina Eick who at 2012-04-17 08:59:58+0000 (Tue) wrote