[GAP Forum] Using GAP to generate group by relations

Jay Taylor j.taylor at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Apr 10 11:33:36 BST 2012

Dear Linda,

What you want to do is create a finitely presented group, for which the
documentation is given here

http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/htm/ref/CHAP045.htm

What you first need to do in GAP is create a free group then quotient
out by the appropriate relations. For instance the following should
achieve the group that you want in GAP

gap> F:= FreeGroup( "a", "b" );;
gap> a:=F.1;; b:=F.2;;
gap> G:= F / [ a^4, b^4, (a*b)^2, (a^3*b)^2 ];

The first line generates a free group with two generators "a" and "b".
The next line creates variables "a" and "b" and assign the generators of
F to them. The "a" and "b" in the first line are merely place holder
names, not variables that can be interacted with in GAP. The final line
then creates the group G by quotienting out by the appropriate relations.

I hope this helps.

-Jay

--
Jay Taylor