[GAP Forum] "IsRationalNumber" as synonym for "IsRat"

Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Sat Feb 25 06:13:26 GMT 2012

Dear all,

it seems to me that functions like IsRat, etc are an artefact of very
old GAP versions, which lacked proper typing (I guess --- I started
using GAP almost 20 years ago, and I don't recall such details).
Instead of calling IsRat(x), one nowadays is better served by
containment predicate like
x in Rationals

IMHO GAP should deprecate all these IsRat, IsInteger, etc, in favour of such
containment predicates.

As far as synonyms IsRational for IsRat, etc, are concerned, I cannot
but point out that  the design of GAP has evolved from using very long
function names to shorter and shorter. It seems that the present
generation of GAP developers favours shorter names.

Best,
Dima