[GAP Forum] Extra-special group acting on an elementary abelian group

Goodson, Joshua E jg1356 at txstate.edu
Fri Feb 24 22:39:04 GMT 2012

Dear Forum,

I wanted to thank everyone for there wonderful suggestions.  I am afraid I forgot to mention
that when I count the orbits I also wish to count the orbits of any particular size.  For example, 
I would want to count the number of regular orbits.  My apologies for not mentioning that before.  
Will these methods allow me to count orbits of any size.

Thank you and again I apologize for my lack of specificity. 

~Joshua Goodson

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:30 PM
To: forum at mail.gap-system.org
Subject: [GAP Forum] Extra-special group acting on an elementary abelian        group

Hello,

I am trying to count the orbits of an extra-special group of order 3^5 acting on an elementary abelian group of order 7^9.  I start with the automorphism group of the elementary abelian group and then try to find the isomorphic image of the extra-special group, but because of the size of the automorphism group the computer cannot finish.  I also try to find the group myself by first finding the Sylow subgroup of the automorphism group, but again the computer has a problem finishing.  I believe in each case it mentions running out of memory.  So I was wondering if there is another way I can perform the desired action GAP or would a better computer be able to find the subgroup of the automorphism group that I want?

Thank you

More information about the Forum mailing list