[GAP Forum] GAP in teaching

Max Neunhoeffer neunhoef at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 14:14:24 GMT 2012

Dear Forum,

thank you very much for all your feedback about "GAP in teaching".
I have now prepared a little overview over the results. If you are
interested in more details or want me to establish contact to
somebody in the mentioned institutions, just send me an email.

Best wishes,
  Max.

=========
 SUMMARY
=========

I got feedback from about 25 individuals.

GAP is used for teaching in at least the following institutions (in no
particular order):

  University of Porto, Portugal
  Universidade Aberta, Portugal
  RWTH Aachen, Germany
  ZetaTrek expedition
  University of Braunschweig, Germany
  Colorado State University
  Ghent University, Department of Mathematics, Belgium
  United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, USA
  Auburn University Montgomery, USA
  University of Trento, Trento, Italy
  Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (www.ntu.edu.sg)
  Universidade de Brasilia, Brasil
  Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Terre Haute, USA
  Benedictine University, Lisle, USA
  University of Vlora, Albania
  University of Technology and Economics, Budapest, Hungary
  University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
  University of Western Sydney, Australia
  Universitat Politecnica de Valencia, Spain
  University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK

The topics of the courses/teaching that were mentioned (many
repeatedly) were:

  Algebra
  Group Theory
  Representation Theory
  Number Theory
  Cryptography
  Computer Algebra
  RSA cryptosystem
  Semigroup Theory
  Coding Theory
  Information Security
  Computational Group Theory
  Computational Representation Theory
  Experimental Mathematics
  Groups and Symmetry

The levels of courses/teaching that were mentioned were:

  2nd-3rd year
  Master
  Bachelor
  Graduate Education Majors
  Maths Majors
  Honours students
  PhD students

The following specific GAP packages have been mentioned in the
feedback:

  factint
  automata
  data collections

It was pointed out that GAP was used in various workshops happening
all over the world.

The following publicly available resources with respect to teaching
material were mentioned:

  * http://www.gap-system.org/Doc/Teaching/teaching.html
  * http://www.math.colostate.edu/~hulpke/CGT/education.html
  * http://cage.ugent.be/~jdebeule/teaching.html
  * "Contemporary Abstract Algebra" by Joseph A. Gallian
    has GAP exercises
  * "Sage for Abstract Algebra", A Supplement to Abstract Algebra, Theory
    and Applications by Robert A. Beezer Department of Mathematics and
    Computer Science University of Puget Sound
    http://abstract.ups.edu/sage-aata.html
  * Applied Abstract Algebra, by David Joyner, Richard Kreminski, Joann Turisco

GAP is of course used in Sage, so the following collection of uses of
Sage in teaching is relevant as well:

  http://wiki.sagemath.org/Teaching_with_SAGE

The following translations of tutorials or material to other languages
were mentioned:

  * GAP tutorial in Spanish, by Ramon Esteban Romero
  * "Algebra and number theory with GAP" in Russian by Alexander Konovalov

--
Max Neunhoeffer              http://www-groups.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~neunhoef/
The University of St Andrews is a registered Scottish charity: No SC013532