[GAP Forum] Combination of generators

James Mitchell jdm3 at st-and.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 15:15:37 GMT 2012

Dear Shubh,

If you are using GAP 4.5, then the answer is yes. In the Citrus package (
http://www-groups.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/~jamesm/citrus/index.html) you can
find the command Factorization which does what you want. For example,

gap> f:=RandomTransformation(7);
Transformation( [ 6, 4, 2, 3, 4, 3, 1 ] )
gap> g:=RandomTransformation(7);
Transformation( [ 1, 6, 4, 4, 7, 4, 6 ] )
gap> M:=Monoid(f,g);
<monoid with 2 generators>
gap> h:=Random(M);
Transformation( [ 1, 6, 4, 4, 7, 4, 6 ] )
gap> Factorization(M, h);
[ 2 ]
gap> h:=Random(M);
Transformation( [ 6, 3, 3, 3, 1, 3, 3 ] )
gap> Factorization(M, h);
[ 2, 1 ]
gap> g*f;
Transformation( [ 6, 3, 3, 3, 1, 3, 3 ] )
gap> h:=Random(M);
Transformation( [ 1, 4, 4, 4, 6, 4, 4 ] )
gap> Factorization(M, h);
[ 2, 2 ]
gap> h:=Random(M);
Transformation( [ 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 ] )
gap> Factorization(M, h);
[ 1, 1, 2, 1, 2 ]
gap> f^2*g*f*g;
Transformation( [ 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 ] )

The list that is returned is  a  list  of  positive  integers  where  i
corresponds to GeneratorsOfSemigroups(S)[i].

Regards,

James