[GAP Forum] Parker loop

Marek Mitros marek at mitros.org
Tue Dec 20 15:38:22 GMT 2011

Thank you for answers from Steve and Gabor.

I wonder following thing - maybe any of you can comment on it. Let Ld be
left multiplication in Parker loop - it is operator in R^4096. From Conway
paper I assume that L_d for d in Parker loop and 2^12 diagonal
automorphisms x_delta (defined in chapter 4 of Conway) generate
extraspecial group 2^25. I assume following
L_o for octad o square to 1;
L_d for dodecad d square to -1;
if a,b are two octads intersecting in 4 points then L_a and L_b commute;
if a is octad and b is dodecad then probably L_a and L_b anticommute...

In order to prove that group defined above is extraspecial 2^(1+24) we
should find convenient basis of Golay code {a} so then L_a and some 12
diagonal automorphisms generate Clifford C(24) monomials which is
extraspecial 2^25. C(24) = M(4096). I found one nice base in Tsu paper from
1998. Is there exist basis of Golay code with octads only ? There should
be, because I just tested in GAP that dimension of vector space generated
by 759 octads is 12 over GF(2).

Regarding code from Gabor. I had out of memory error as well when trying to
define Parker loop. I was able to store table 8192 x 8192 on the disk - it
is 394 MB size (!). I wonder what is the mapping of indexes 1..8192 with
+-d for d in Golay Code. There should be one row with 1..8192 numbers but
it is not the first one. I have sent email to Gabor but no answer so far,
so I post it here.

Regards,
Marek