[GAP Forum] subgroup lattices

John McDermott jjm at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Mon Dec 12 10:52:10 GMT 2011

Dear William,

the Forum mailing list software strips attachments so yours have not appeared here. You could send them directly to Sumeyra, of course.

Best wishes,
John

On 7 Dec 2011, at 22:02, William DeMeo wrote:

> Dear Sumeyra,
>
> Could you be more specific?
>
> 1. What GAP commands did you try?
>
> 2. What do you mean by "I want the subgroup lattice of..."
>
> Do you want a picture of it?  Do you want a list of ALL the subgroups?
> Usually that's not as helpful as the list of conjugacy classes of
> subgroups that GAP provides.  When I run the following GAP commands on
> your group, they seem to work well:
>
> gap> g:=SmallGroup(32,26);
> gap> l:=LatticeSubgroups(g);
> gap> ConjugacyClassesSubgroups(l);
> gap> MaximalSubgroupsLattice(l);
>
> The output of MaximalSubgroupsLattice is a little bit hard to
> interpret at first, but you get used to it.  If you want a list of all
> the subgroups and their covering relations, you could do the
> following, at least for small groups:
>
> gap> e:=Group([Identity(g)]);;
> gap> IntermediateSubgroups(g,e);
>
> If you want to see a picture of the subgroup lattice, you might try
> XGAP.  Alternatively, you could try the universal algebra calculator
> (www.uacalc.org) along with my GAP script, gap2uacalc.g (attached),
> which converts a GAP group or transitive G-set into an algebra file
> that can be read by uacalc.  You can then use uacalc to analyze the
> structure of the subgroup lattice or the lattice of congruence
> relations, and you can generate rotating 3d diagrams.  A picture of
> such a diagram for your group is attached.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> -William
>

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM, sumeyra uskudar <suskudar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a problem with the command "SetPrintLevel".
>> I want for example the subgrouplattice of the smallgroup (32,26) ,but it
>> does not give the entirelist of subgroups with representatives.
>> I think it has something to do with printlevel. but I could not set it
>> altough I followed the instructions in manual.
>> Anyone can help me?
>>
>> --
>> *Sümeyra Bedir*

John McDermott
Scientific Officer
Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra
School of Computer Science
University of St Andrews
North Haugh, St Andrews, Fife
KY16 9SX
SCOTLAND

(Room 330, Mathematical Institute)

tel +44 1334 463813
mob +44 7941 507531

The University of St Andrews is committed to sustainable practices and the preservation of the environment.
Please do not print this email unless absolutely necessary.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC01353