[GAP Forum] subgroup lattices

William DeMeo williamdemeo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 22:02:34 GMT 2011

Dear Sumeyra,

Could you be more specific?

1. What GAP commands did you try?

2. What do you mean by "I want the subgroup lattice of..."

Do you want a picture of it?  Do you want a list of ALL the subgroups?
 Usually that's not as helpful as the list of conjugacy classes of
subgroups that GAP provides.  When I run the following GAP commands on
your group, they seem to work well:

gap> g:=SmallGroup(32,26);
gap> l:=LatticeSubgroups(g);
gap> ConjugacyClassesSubgroups(l);
gap> MaximalSubgroupsLattice(l);

The output of MaximalSubgroupsLattice is a little bit hard to
interpret at first, but you get used to it.  If you want a list of all
the subgroups and their covering relations, you could do the
following, at least for small groups:

gap> e:=Group([Identity(g)]);;
gap> IntermediateSubgroups(g,e);

If you want to see a picture of the subgroup lattice, you might try
XGAP.  Alternatively, you could try the universal algebra calculator
(www.uacalc.org) along with my GAP script, gap2uacalc.g (attached),
which converts a GAP group or transitive G-set into an algebra file
that can be read by uacalc.  You can then use uacalc to analyze the
structure of the subgroup lattice or the lattice of congruence
relations, and you can generate rotating 3d diagrams.  A picture of
such a diagram for your group is attached.

Hope that helps!

-William