[GAP Forum] semicolon

Lisette Brillemans lisette.brillemans at mensa.nl
Sat Dec 10 23:36:46 GMT 2011

Dear all,

When using GAP you have to end every line with a semicolon, as in C and C++.
This is allright, but it also has the effect (on me) that something like SciLab or so is now very user unfriendly because there using a semicolon supresses the output.
I have been using GAP for quite a while now (more than a year) but of course apart from GAP you need sometimes other programs, like Pari for instance. But also Pari has the behaviour that a semicolon suppresses output. This is very unhandy if you’re accustomed to GAP.

Is it possible to implement a function or maybe a command line option to change the behaviour of the semicolon of GAP in version 4.5.
Of course I’m only talking about oneliners.
The programming language should of course stay as it is.

Sage uses a Pythonlike language to connect many algebraic and mathematical programs into one package but it’s not what I’m looking for. I only would like to be able to switch the behaviour of GAP’s semicolon. If that is not possible I' very much like to here why not.
If there are more users experiencing this annoying problem then of course I would like to hear from them if they have found a solution and which one.

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Lisette