[GAP Forum] Representing groups as linear groups

Johannes Hahn johannes.hahn at uni-jena.de
Mon Nov 21 14:47:08 GMT 2011

Hi.

There is no unique faithful linear representation for a arbitrary finite
group in general. (For arbitrary groups there is in general not a single
faithful linear representation)
I guess the only canonical choice is the regular representation, i.e.
the group of permutation matrices that corresponds to the permutation
action of G on itself via left-translation (or right-translation if you
choose to act from the right). Therefore your way should be the easiest
one to implement. Caveat: In general this procedure does not give you a
faithful representation of smallest possible degree, i.e. it might be
possible to find a "better" embedding in the sense that the matrices
have smaller dimension. I don't think that there is some good way to do
that besides the brute-force-way: Look through all characters of the
group and check which are faithful. Then find a representation for this
character (which is itself a nontrivial problem).

Johannes Hahn.