[GAP Forum] Compiling GAP 4r5

Gordon Royle gordon.royle at uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 3 08:44:55 GMT 2011

On both Linux and Mac OS I am having trouble compiling GAP 4r5 from scratch.

In each case, GMP is not installed system-wide and so the included-GMP is compiled instead, and this compilation fails - actually it is not the compilation that fails, but the GMP "self-check" after it has compiled.

***Error: GMP self-check has failed. See bin/x86_64-apple-darwin11.2.0-gcc/64-bit/extern/gmp-5.0.1/check_log for details.***

make[1]: *** [gmp_build] Error 1
make: *** [extern] Error 2

When I actually look at the "check_log" for details as instructed, it says:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `check'.  Stop.

(Yes, just one line in the file)

On one system I don't have root privileges to install GMP system-wide and I'd rather not do it on the other system if I can just use a supplied GMP …

Please advise!

Thanks

Gordon

Professor Gordon Royle