[GAP Forum] Generating Set for Special Linear Groups

Piyush garg pgarg1990 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 01:56:02 BST 2011

Dear GAP Forum,

I am very tahnkful to Peter, Stefan and Steve for helping me out.
Now I am able to do this through GeneratorsOfGroup and SmallGeneratingSet ,
but I am still getting the error message for MinimalGeneratingSet (thats ok,
i will keep it on hold for moment).

I have two more doubts :
##    How to get the matrices from the output generated by GeneratorsOfGroup
for the Special Linear Group;  like for SL(2,17) :
s:=SL(2,17);
gens:=GeneratorsOfGroup(s);
[ [ [ Z(17), 0*Z(17)], [ 0*Z(17), Z(17)^15 ] ],
  [ [ Z(17)^8, Z(17)^0], [Z(17)^8, 0*Z(17)] ] ]

this is the output we are getting, now hwo to get the matrices from it which
can generate the whole set of SL(2,17) ??  (with the elements' values from 0
to 16.)

##    How can we store this output of matrices in a file and make use of
them in Matlab program ??
like storing the matrices now generated in a 3d-array and then later using
them in Matlab.

Thank you again for helping me out.

Regards,
Piyush Garg.