[GAP Forum] Generating Set for Special Linear Groups

Peter Brooksbank pbrooksb at bucknell.edu
Mon Jun 6 06:58:28 BST 2011

Dear Piyush,

I am not sure why this creates an error in GAP - perhaps someone else can
speak to that - but if all you want is a generating set for SL(n,q) you can
do the following:

G := SL (2, 13);
gens := GeneratorsOfGroup (G);

This will return the generators that GAP uses to construct the group G. For
the groups SL(n,q) my guess is that the list returned will  always be the
smallest possible (namely 2) if that is important to you.

Best,

Peter