[GAP Forum] a multiplicative group generated by an indeterminate

Igor Korepanov paloff at ya.ru
Sun Mar 27 14:23:21 BST 2011

Dear Forum,

suppose  a  is an indeterminate over rationals and I want to create a group consisting of this  a  raised to all integer powers:

gap> a := Indeterminate( Rationals,"a" );
gap> g := Group( a );
#I  default `IsGeneratorsOfMagmaWithInverses' method returns `true' for [ a ]
<group with 1 generators>
gap>

Now the question: does this mean that I should better do it another way? Or proceed bravely?

Also, is there a way to define the group of all nonzero rationals other than  GL(1,Rationals)  ?

Best,

Igor