[GAP Forum] intransitive G-sets

William DeMeo williamdemeo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 22:25:47 GMT 2011

Dear Dr. Hulpke,

Thank you again for another excellent answer.  It is all very clear,
and very helpful.  I just have a comment/question about your caveat.

You wrote:
> Let me add a caveat here: I believe the imprimitivity tests in GAP aleways
> assume that the group acts transitively. So you would have to determine
> congruences for each orbit separately and then combine.

When you say "and then combine," did you have a strategy in mind, or
did you just mean "and then you'll have to figure out how to combine"?

This gets at the heart a basic question we're thinking about.  When
you combine, you should get a direct product of the congruences of the
nontrivial subalgebras (orbits), and a partition lattice above that,
plus some other stuff.  The question is, what is the other stuff?
(Perhaps with your deep knowledge of this area, you already know the
answer; i.e. how to "combine" the block systems of the transitive
subalgebras of an intransitive G-set.)

Since GAP assumes transitivity when computing block systems, perhaps
the best strategy for now is to use GAP to compute an operation table
for the intransitive G-set, and then import this table into the
universal algebra calculator (www.uacalc.org), which can compute the
congruences.  I'll try it today.

Maybe future versions of GAP can include a Blocks function which works
for intransitive actions -- or, better yet, a Con function for
computing (and drawing with XGAP?) the lattice of all block systems of
an intransitive G-set.  I'd be happy to contribute to this effort, if
you think people (besides me) might find it useful.

Thanks again for all your help!!

-William