[GAP Forum] x^y with Floats

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 14:01:58 GMT 2011

Dear Ivo,

The GAP functionality for Floats is not documented and may be changed in the future.
In GAP 4.4.12, to use x^y for floats, it's important to remember that x must be a
float, otherwise an error will occur. To create floats, call Float with an integer
to create a corresponding float, or with a string representation of a float, if it
has a decimal point. For example:

gap> Float("2.3")^3;
12.167
gap> Float("2.3")^Float("3.53");