[GAP Forum] Algorithmic question

Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik dima at ntu.edu.sg
Fri Feb 4 03:21:34 GMT 2011

Dear Kasper,
as far as I can see, a necessary condition is that the cone C
generated by M is simplicial (i.e. has exactly as many extreme rays as
the dimension of the span of M in R^n, say n'), so one should be able
compute these rays efficiently, using linear programming (as you do
not need to enumerate all the rays of C,
which can be exponential in running time, but stop as soon as you have
exactly  n' rays, and no more)

So if  C is not simplcial, M is not free.
If C is simplicial, then one has to find out whether the extreme rays
of C generate M, or not.
The latter is probably some kind of volume computation, which again
can be done efficiently.

Please let me know whether you need more details,
Dmitrii