[GAP Forum] Subgroups of fp groups (was:no subject)

Alexander Konovalov alexander.konovalov at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 21:35:35 GMT 2011

Dear Rahul,

You need to call "Subgroup" (enter ?Subgroup in GAP to see the manual). For example,

gap> F:=FreeGroup("a","b");
<free group on the generators [ a, b ]>
gap> AssignGeneratorVariables(F);
#I  Assigned the global variables [ a, b ]
gap> G:=F/[a^4,b^2,b*a*b*a];
<fp group on the generators [ a, b ]>
gap> g:=GeneratorsOfGroup(G);
[ a, b ]
gap> Subgroup(G,[g[1]*g[2]]);
Group([ a*b ])
gap> Size(last);
2
gap> Subgroup(G,[g[1]]);
Group([ a ])
gap> Size(last);
4

Note that variables a and b above are generators of the free group and not of the group G,
so I can't use Subgroup(G,[a*b]) unless I redefine them.

Hope this helps,
Alexander