[GAP Forum] ring theory

Alexander Hulpke ahulpke at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 03:51:22 GMT 2011

Dear Igor,

> I think you must agree that, even in such trivial cases, there must be no such epic bugs as this one with rings.

I would not consider this as a bug (and would be careful with the `epic' attribute in any case). Of course this is not a ``hard'' problem, but simply one for which the computer is not well suited.

I am not aware of an element test for infinite rings that will always terminate. As I wrote, I can imagine special methods for subrings of polynomial rings or subrings of the integers (or for element test of the generators), but at this point I see minimal gain in implementing this and am rather doubtful of the merits of devoting time on such particular features. Thus again my request for any concrete need of such an element test (the use itself can be trivial, but the context shouldn't be) for rings.

Best,

  Alexander Hulpke