[GAP Forum] computerised exams for computer algebra courses?

Alexander Konovalov alexk at mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu Jan 20 00:32:11 GMT 2011

Hi Dima,

On 19 Jan 2011, at 06:05, Asst. Prof. Dmitrii (Dima) Pasechnik wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I will be teaching an "Experimental mathematics" (with elements of
> computer algebra, and in
> particular GAP) course next year, and
> I am looking for sources/howtos, etc., on conducting computerised
> exams for such a course.

It's not precisely clear what do you or your school mean by a computerised exam:
1) computer-generated exam papers where each student will have a different set of questions?
2) students passing exam on a computer doing their calculations on paper and entering answers?
3) computer algebra system as a back-end of this system to verify the answer in real time?
4) a combination of this features?
5) something else? or are you happy with exam papers where there are no questions asking for
definitions and proofs?

> In my school this is presently not done, so we need to find out how to
> set such a thing
> up properly, without spending too much time and money on it.

Several links may be worth to look:

http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~OKUSON/ by Frank and Max
http://moodle.org/
http://java.symcomp.org/