[GAP Forum] why zoo?

Frank Lübeck frank.luebeck at math.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Jan 13 09:37:54 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:54:22AM +0300, Igor Korepanov wrote:
> Just one more question: is .zoo a somehow preferred way of archiving for GAP people? And why so if .tar.bz2 is so evidently better?

But all of our archives are provided in .zoo, .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 and -win.zip
format. You are free to use what you like most!

.tar.bz2 is not "evidently better", e.g. it does not unpack text files
under Windows/DOS with the native line break convention, and it is much
slower to unpack them compared to, say, .tar.gz.

See
  http://www.gap-system.org/Download/formats.html
for more details.

Best regards,
   Frank Lübeck

--
///  Dr. Frank Lübeck, Lehrstuhl D für Mathematik, Templergraben 64,  ///
\\\                    52062 Aachen, Germany                          \\\