[GAP Forum] Computing "canonical" subsets

Hebert Pérez-Rosés hebert.perez at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 12:28:28 GMT 2011

Dear Gordon,

I'm not sure that I understand your problem correctly, but I will tell you
what I think, and you tell me if that's a (possible) answer to your
question:

If you can define a total ordering on the set of k-subsets, then the
canonical form of a particular k-subset A is the smallest k-subset B in the
G-orbit of A. Now you can generate all possible k-subsets in increasing
order, and for each new k-subset A, you don't have to compare it with every
previous one: you just have to compute the G-orbit of A, and check whether
there is a k-subset C in the G-orbit of A, that is smaller than A. In that
case, you can be sure that A has been considered before, and you can discard
it.

At first sight this looks more efficient than the other approach, but I
cannot guarantee that :-).

Best regards,
Hebert.