[GAP Forum] Multiplicative Group modulo n

Keshav Rao Kini krkini at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Dec 5 18:31:46 GMT 2010

Hello,

I'd just like to point out that the unit group of a field is the field less the additive identity, by definition - I'm not sure what field you are referring to here. "Units( ZmodnZ( n ) )" is probably what Johannes wants. It returns a group.

Yours,
    Keshav

Disclaimer: the boilerplate text at the foot of this email has been added automatically by my mail server. This was not done by my request (rather the opposite) so please disregard it.

2010/12/5 Sandeep Murthy <sandeepr.murthy at gmail.com<mailto:sandeepr.murthy at gmail.com>>
Hi,

I think Units( R ), where R is a ring, will return the unit
group of a ring R, which is a multiplicative group.  A
field is a ring, so it should work.  According to the GAP
manual (p. 568), it will be returned either as a list or
group.  If the return is list, then you can always Group()
the list to make it a Group object.

Sincerely, Sandeep.